UPDATE: My daughter was kind enough to post a video of her playing the red guitar and singing. Although the video is not the greatest quality as it was taken using a digital camera, you can get a bit of an idea of how it sounds. Here is the link.
Last week I decided to make an end of the year purchase of a couple of shop items. I ordered a Jet air cleaner with electrostatic filter, and a Grizzly 6" jointer. I have been wanting to get the air cleaner for a while and Amazon had a good deal on one with free shipping. I couldn't pass it up. Grizzly had a $30 off sale on the jointer so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on that too. The jointer arrived yesterday afternoon, and after a bunch of heavy lifting I was able to get it up into my second floor shop....... by myself! Fortunately it was in pieces so the heaviest part was the jointer table which was somewhere around 100 lbs. The rest of the pieces were under 50 lbs each. I got it all assembled and I did some test cuts with it. It really works well however the motor seems to not be running right so I will be contacting Grizzly about a replacement motor. It doesn't seem to want to start correctly, it kind of surges until it gets up to speed. It isn't the belt slipping but it is the motor itself cutting in and out. Hopefully they will be good about replacing it.
Today I spent some time in the shop building a Troji. I got some plans off of a post in the OLF so it was a pretty easy build. I didn't take many pictures of the assembly but I will post what I did get pictures of.
Here is the new jointer. I still need to do the dust collection, but that didn't stop me from trying it out!
I moved my bench sander to a spot where I can work around it easily. I moved my drill press around the corner to make room.
This picture is for people who are wanting to build one using the same plans, only I did a different kind of nut attachment. This allows full force to both push and pull on the nut. The original plan had a T nut on the back which can get pushed out if the troji gets squeezed.
Here it is assembled. I still need to pick up some foam to pad the cradle area, and I need to finish sand the edges but other than that it is done. I might give it a coat of poly just to protect the wood.