Google
 

Saturday, December 22, 2007

The twins have been born.....

Well at long last, the twins are finished. I got them finished this morning, polished them all up and took a bunch of pictures. Then when I was inside eating lunch, the mailman came and delivered the colored bridge pins I ordered for them. So, I went back out, changed the pins and re-took pictures of the fronts with the new pins. Anyway, they are done, in their cases and waiting for two teenagers on Christmas morning.

Here is all the info:

000 14 fret 24.9" short scale based on Martin shape.
Sitka Spruce tops
East Indian Rosewood Backs and Sides
Sapele necks
East Indian Rosewood Pegheads,Fingerboards and bridges
Koa bindings, heel caps, and end wedges.
Colored strips for the perflings.
Spalt Maple and Curly Bubinga rosettes
Paua Abalone inlays
Target USL finish on the bodies, Tru-oil on the necks.






Here they are. First up the backs.


And the fronts.


Here you can see the sound ports.


First up, the red bridge. Note the red bridge pins.


This next batch is of the red guitar. Here is the back reflection shot.


Heel cap with inlay.


These back and side sets were "opportunity grade" sets. What that means is that they are perfectly structural sound sets, but they have some cosmetic issues that keeps them out of the higher graded sets. The plus side to this is that they are an absolute bargain. On this back you can see that both outer edges of the lower bout have some color changes. It looks to me like this was close to a branch by the way the grain starts to curve. Other than that, and the wide grain, these sets are a fantastic value.



The peghead. That white spot in the center above the nut is actually the reflection of my camera lense.


This is a curly bubinga rosette.





On to the green guitar. Note the green bridge pins.

This is the Koa heel graft I used. For some reason I forgot to take a picture of the other one. Oh well, they are the same.


The obligitory reflection shot.


The heel cap with the inlay.






This is the spalt maple rosette.




So there they are. Next up is the redwood and Honduran Mahogany size 0 parlor guitar. Other than joining the top and back, I haven't done anything else with it. I am going to build a guitar Troji this next week and then I will get started on the guitar. A troji is a clamping device that holds the guitar body vertically so I can work on the sides easily. After seeing how great having a guitar caddy has been, I figure a troji will be good too. Oh, and another addition to the shop should happen this next week or so. I ordered a new Grizzly 6" jointer and a Jet air cleaner. I am sure you remember that I put in dust collection this summer, but I am still getting a fine layer of dust on things and I am breathing it in. The air cleaner should help keep the air quality better in my shop. My lungs will thank me for this! Both of these items should be delivered in the next week or so.

No comments: