Google
 

Saturday, December 15, 2007

The SJ is done......

And here are the pictures to prove it! I am thiiiiisssss {holds finger and thumb really close together} to being done with the twins. All that is left is to make a new saddle for the green one, do a little touch up polishing, and taking pictures. I ordered some colored bridge pins so the red guitar will have red pins and the green guitar, green pins. I hope they sound okay. Since both guitars are going to teenagers, I think that some flair is in order, and as long as that flair doesn't affect tone too much, I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of tone to get them something that they will like the looks of.

Anyways, here are the pictures of the SJ. As a review, here are the spec's:

Scratch build using the OLF SJ plans
Camatillo back and sides
Bearclaw Sitka top
Curly maple bindings
Black/Maple/Black strip perflings
Box elder back inlay, heel cap, and rosette.
Paua abalone rosette, fret markers, and peg head inlay.
Ebony bridge, fingerboard, and peg head veneers
Peg head has back and front veneers
Honduran Mahogany neck
Target USL water based lacquer finish






Here is a fairly good representation of the mirror finish I got on this guitar. The light is approx. 10' away across the room.


The front shot. I had a hard time getting a decent front shot because of the flash reflection. This was the best of the bunch.


Front at an angle to bounce the flash away from the camera.


And the other side. Note the amount of claw in the top.



Here is the bridge I made. I changed it from my last one by making the bottom into a V shape. It matches the bottom of the fingerboard.


The rosette and fingerboard bottom.


The peg head. It is black ebony and I put a maple strip .020" away from the edge to frame it. There is black outside of the maple so the white line is inset around the edge. It turned out really nice.


The back. I like this wood.


From one angle.


And the other angle.


The heel cap an back inlay. I did a duplicate point on the other end of the back to match.



The back of the peg head. I like the looks of veneered peg head back.


Here you can see the reflection in the top. Also, if you look closely you can see that the side wood had sapwood which I used next to the top.


The back reflection. This is probably the best picture that represents the actual color of the wood. Although it looks brown, when sanded the dust is bright purple.


This shows both inlays in the back.


As does this picture.


And finally a poser picture.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

David, I've been waiting to see pics of that guitar. It's beautiful! Just started #1 and your blog has helped learn alot. Been lurking at the forums. One of these days I'll get some pics up. Thanks.

David said...

Thanks for the compliment. I am glad my blog is helping others learn some things. That was the whole idea of the blog.

Anonymous said...

Hi David,it's a cracker, I have been waiting to see the finished article it looks really professional well done. I have just finished my first one and have been inspired by your efforts. I have started the second one a dread this time. Thanks for all your help.

Anonymous said...

David,
Great job, what a sweet looker! The bearclaw is fantastic.
Brian