Google
 

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Inlay

Well I got some shop time today to get the inlay pocket cut out and the inlay glued in and epoxy filled. I have to say, my inlay routing skills are a bit rusty but I got it done. It isn't perfect but not too bad, only a little bit of over cut in a few spots that are filled with epoxy and Ziricote sanding dust. Here are a few pictures.

First I copied the inlay piece and taped that copy to the headplate the way I wanted it set.

Next I cut through the paper to give me an etched outline in the wood.

Here is the etched outline to help guide my routing.

Here is the routed pocket ready for the Abalone inlay to be glued in.


The inlay was tacked in place with medium CA glue and then the entire thing is covered with epoxy mixed with Ziracote dust. Once it cures I will sand it all flat. The inlay was set just a hair proud to allow for sanding flush.

No comments: