Google
 

Sunday, November 11, 2007

All strung up......

Well I got busy this weekend and got the SJ all strung up. It sounds really good! I glued the bridge on Thursday night using hot hide glue, and let it sit until Saturday before putting string tension on it. Really all that was left was to install the tuners, make the nut and saddle, and string it up. I still need to do a setup as the action is miles high but all in all I am very pleased. One thing I was extremely happy about was the intonation at the 12th fret was dead on without any saddle compensation. I still need to do the harmonics for intonation but it looks like there won't be much saddle work needed.

Today I started my next project, a Mahogany and redwood 00-12 fret parlor sized guitar. I have been wanting to build one of these and I figure this is the time to do it. I joined the top (after snapping the first top in 4 pieces! Grrrrr!) and will probably join the back this week. I am going to get back on the twin guitars here shortly so I probably won't get into the 00 until late this year or January. Hunting season starts this weekend so with that, the holidays, and other things I am going to have to work hard to get some shop time. Oh well, it's that time of the year!

Here are a few pictures. When I get a minute I will polish it all up and take some proper pictures. These will do for now though.





Here it is with both E strings set for string spacing positioning.


Once I had the two outer strings located, I could then mark the other four compensating for string thickness.


And here it is all strung up. Sorry it is leaning a little to the left! lol


And the back. I really like this wood and it probably won't be the last time I use it.

No comments: