Google
 

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Two shiny guitars....

I was able to get the twins all polished up this weekend and tonight I got started with the final neck sets. I realized that when I bolted the necks in and sighted down them, I had a pretty major hump at the 14th fret where the fingerboard extension bowed upwards. This is because I radiused the top braces and with the A frame bracing I used, it puts a pretty big hump above the sound hole. So, I had to do some sanding on both the top of the guitar and the underside of the fingerboard extension to bring it down so the fret line is straight. Both guitars had this problem and I am not sure why I didn't notice it when I was doing the initial neck sets. The lesson I learned on this is that I am going to stop radiusing the braces above the upper bout. Every guitar I have built I have had to deal with the radius under the FB extension but nowhere near this extent. Anyways, I finally got them leveled out and ready for gluing. I also finished the bridges and sanded the undersides to the radius of the top. I am going to make a bridge clamping jig for these two guitars to clamp the bridges down during the glue up. I am going to make them based on the Fox style clamp with a couple of small modifications. This should make my bridge gluing a quicker and more accurate procedure. If all goes well, I might just have these two strung up in the next week. There is a lot happening with Thanksgiving and hunting season so I am not sure how much time I will actually get to work on them, but it would be nice if I got them done before December.




The two at an angle showing the sound ports.



A poser picture.


Here are the backs. The picture does a lousy job of showing the finish. It is a mirror finish like the others I have built.


This does a better job of showing the finish reflection.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

David,
Looking good.
Happy Thanksgiving, have some turkeybird for me!
Brian

Sam Price said...

David, What a wonderful pair of guitars!! You also have a unique look and style to these instruments; Are you planning to build guitars for a living?

David said...

Thanks guys! I appreciate the compliments. Sam, right now I am not selling them, but at some point I would like to move into luthiery as a profession. I still have a long way to go, but that is my goal. I am debating selling the camatillo guitar I just finished. I think the quality is good enough to sell. It has some cosmetic flaws but nothing major and I might be able to get my cost back out of it pretty easily. My body isn't handling construction work very well and I have got to make some kind of a change in the near future. I can't imagine still pulling wires when I am 60 years old!

Greg, no problem, I will eat some turkey for you and probably a little for Sam too! (Although I don't think they do the turkey thing in the UK!)