Google
 

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Bridges on....

I got a chance to get the bridges glued on yesterday using the two new bridge clamps I made. They worked really well and they work quick. That is important when hot hide glue is involved. I got the bridges cleaned up today and did some small touch up's on the top lacquer where there were some small gaps around the sound hole and perflings that didn't get filled correctly. The gaps aren't noticeable until the polishing gets done because the white compound gets in and then they gaps look white. I picked the compound out with an x-acto blade and them drop filled the spots with thin CA glue. I re-sanded the tops to level the drop fills out. After that was done, I did some touch ups where I sanded through the finish at a couple of spots on the binding edge when I did the original level sanding and polishing. I am still waiting on the saddles and nut files I ordered so I don't have much left to do on them until those items arrive.






Here are the bridge clamps I made. Really simple and very effective. It's a lot better than trying to cram 3 C-clamps through the sound hole without damaging the edge of the hole!



Both guitars with the bridges attached.


And the backs. The tuners are just stuck in with the nuts only. I still need to screw them down but I want to polish the peg heads before I permanently install the tuners because it is much easier to do without them in the way.

No comments: