Google
 

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Fretting, necking, and a tail wedge........

Well it really feels like things are starting to come along now. I got a few things done on the OOO after work and it looks like progress is happening. First, took the clamp off of the heel cap and sanded it to shape on the heel. It looks really nice. After that, I cut the frets, used my super duper fret tang nippers to get the frets ready for a bound fingerboard, and then fretted the fingerboard to the 12th fret. Once that was done, I figured it was time to glue the fingerboard to the neck. Using the same technique that I used on the OM and Dreadnought, I clamped the peg head to my workbench, pushed the heel up causing a slight back bow and then glued the fingerboard down. This is the third time I have used the stewmac rubber band and I think I can still get a few more uses out of it. Although there might be a better way to clamp down a fingerboard, I can't think of it! The rubber band works beautifully and gives very even pressure all the way up and down the board.

Once that was done and drying, I just about made a big mistake in the order of the build. You see, I received my router bearings from Stewmac in the mail today so my mind immediately went to routing the binding channels. I got the bit all set up, router table all adjusted, and I even did a small test cut on under the fingerboard extension section of the guitar top when I realized that I hadn't done the tail graft yet. So, away went the routing stuff and out came the bloodwood piece that I needed to do this. This time, I decided I wanted to do a curved graft. After I played around with a few designs, I settled on a curve that is tight at the waist and curves out at both the top and back. I cut it out, sanded the curves smooth, and used it as a tracing template for routing the guitar tail. I used my stewmac router base and 1/8" downcut bit and very slowly and steadily cut out the tail. Once I got it so the graft would just about fit the cut, I used a file to smooth the curve and file it to fit. It took a bit of work, but I think it will look nice when it is finished. I glued and clamped the graft in place and closed shop for the night. Finishing time is getting closer and closer. I guess that means I need to start thinking about my next build. It will definitely be another scratch build, and I think I will do a jumbo, I just don't know if I want to go with another LMI unserviced kit or go to another supplier for top, back and sides. Hmmm, decisions decisions.....





The heel after I took the clamp off. It is actually pretty red in color. I think the maroon towel under it makes it look pink.


Here it is after I sanded it to shape. I wanted to keep the curve inside the heel going in the same direction. I think I got it pretty close.


This is my super high end very complicated fret holder. Note the intricate lettering used for numbering the holes.


The neck all glued up. Sorry, I forgot to get a picture of the fingerboard all fretted up.


This is the tail graft piece (bloodwood) and the tail routed out.


The tail graft all clamped up and drying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LIAR! You don't go to work, you spend every hour of everyday in that workshop. I am so jealous at the speed at which you can work.

I love that tail graft and the fingerboard binding - WOW. I think they are going to be really subtle pieces of "bling" - Certainly adding a personal touch to this one.

Now you've removed the fear of the scratch build - you're unstoppable.

David said...

Lol! Nope, I really do have a job however being self employed, there are times that my work day is not as busy as others allowing me to get home early or leave late. That gives me some extra time to work in the shop.

Thanks for the compliments. I am really excited about how this one is turning out. I really wanted this one to be a bit different than the standard guitar.