Google
 

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

More inlay work......

I finally decided what fingerboard marker layout I wanted to go with. I decided to go with the single markers on the bass side of the board, and doubles on the treble side stacked. First, I checked the binding, did a bit of sanding and cleaned the glue squeeze out. I am really happy with the binding. It looks great. Then I did a bunch of measuring and re-measuring for the marker layout and drilled them out. I inserted and glued the abalone dots in. I have small abalone dots for the edge markers, but I won't do them until I have the neck and fingerboard sanded to the final shape.

Once that was done I turned to the neck heel. I needed to cut the heel down because it was longer than the body thickness. After a bit of head scratching, I finally came up with a way to hold the neck securely and squarely against my chop saw so I could cut it. That was a scary moment. I had visions of many hours of hard work going up in a cloud of sawdust in less than a second. Fortunately all went well and the heel was now the correct length including the thickness of the bloodwood heel cap.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I wanted to put the "D" inlay in the heel cap. I decided that it was much easier to route the inlay recess while the bloodwood was still un-cut from the blank. I proceeded to scribe the inlay using the same method I did with the peg head and routed it out. It was a very tedious job as the inlay is so small. I did better with this cut than I did with the peg head but it still isn't perfect. It is close though. I sanded some scrap bloodwood binding to get some filler dust, filled the gaps and flooded it with CA. Then I sanded it, cut it out, and glued it to the neck.



The bloodwood fingerboard binding. I am really happy with how this turned out. Not bad for my first attempt at this kind of thing.


The fingerboard after the markers are inserted and glued in.


This is how I cut the end of the heel. Looks scary huh!

Right after the cut. Whew!


Here is the bloodwood with the inlay set in the recess I routed out.


A bit of sanding dust....


And the inlay is all glued up.


I used the cut off piece of heel as a pattern to trace around for the heel cap.


All glued up and drying.

No comments: