Google
 

Sunday, April 29, 2007

I had a visitor to my shop today.........

I didn't spend a lot of time in the shop today, but I did un-tape the top binding and perfling. I also sanded it to see how it turned out. I am happy to say that it turned out very nice. I have a couple of spots where I need to fill some small gaps, but they should be easy to hide with some glue and sawdust.

It was interesting up there today. All during the time I was working, I kept hearing a squeaking sound. With it being spring time, I just assumed that it was a birds nest in the corner of the eaves where the birds build nests every year. I would hear the squeak and try and pinpoint where it was coming from. I never could find it. Just before turning off the lights, I looked over to the work bench and there on the floor was something small and moving. I went over and there was a tiny baby mouse that had gotten out of its nest. I am guessing that there must be a mouse nest in the ceiling insulation, and since my ceiling is covered with nothing more than tarp material, it must have crawled down and fallen through seam between tarps. I guess it must have heard that I build guitars and it wanted to check them out. Good thing it couldn't open it's eyes yet! I took a picture of it and then put it outside. I am know it won't live, but I sure don't want to go looking for the rest of the nest and I really don't want more of them running around the shop! I guess it that time of year that I need to set up some traps.




The body after a bit of scraping and sanding. I like the contrast of the red binding, black perfling and light colored top.


This is the only gap I have on the top. I have a couple of small gaps on the side too but this is the biggest one.


The sides. Sigh.... I really wish I didn't have that black piece of filler on the back.


The end graft and binding joints. They turned out pretty nicely.


I like how the color choices are coming together. The reason for the blue tape around the sound hole is so I don't get the end grain dirty while working the neck bolts. With the really thin piece of spruce next to the black perfling strip, I don't have much wood to sand off to clean it.


Here is the little visitor I had in my shop today.

No comments: