Google
 

Saturday, April 28, 2007

Top binding and a lot of pictures....

I didn't spend a lot of time working on the guitar today, but I did get the top binding and perfling glued in. The binding was tight at the waist, and one piece started to crack as I was test fitting it so I hit it with some CA at the waist part of the bend to strengthen it for the installation. Other than getting glue everywhere, it went fine and without any problems. I will let it dry over night before I remove the tape to check it. Hopefully it looks fine when I take the tape off. The thin-ness of the perfling ledge made it kind of difficult to get it all in and tight so I hope I don't have any gaps when I sand it down.

I did spend some time with my other two guitars, polishing and buffing them all to a shiny finish so I could take some nice photographs of them. I am working on building a website and would like to have some good pictures of my guitars for it. I am going to post several pictures of each of them for people who are new, or haven't seen them.

Warning: this post has a lot of pictures! Sorry to all the dial-up readers.



The bloodwood binding tight bend. I decided to hit both of these with a little CA to strengthen them before trying to force them in the waist curves.


The top all glued up and taped.


My super high end photographic studio. Nothing more than a white sheet, a shelf, and a lot of light.




Now, on to pictures of my completed guitars. First, the dreadnought I finished in December of '06

Sitka spruce top
Honduran mahogany back and sides
Rosewood peg head and fingerboard
Ebony bridge
White pearl dots
Black plastic bindings, end graft, and heel cap
Gotoh 16:1 gold tuners
Target USL water based lacquer finish





Front whole body picture.



The headstock is rosewood. Tuners are Gotoh gold 16:1



Angled body picture



Back of the neck.



Full back shot



A shot showing the reflection in the back.



The tail graft.



This shows that the sides have some grain that projected through. Although it wasn't planned, I like how it looks and am not going to "fix" it.



The top showing the reflection. It is kind of hard to photograph because of the light wood color.




The neck joint. This is a dovetail neck joint.





This is my OM that I finished at the end of March '07.

Bearclaw Sitka spruce top
Granadillo back and sides
Figured maple bindings, heel cap, end graft.
Ebony fingerboard
Mahogany neck
Gold pearl dots and custom inlay
Rosewood bridge and peg head
Gotoh 16:1 gold tuners
Target USL water based lacquer finish



Full front shot



Angled front shot


Angled front shot


Rope perflings



Perfling at the bottom


Angled back shot



Angled back shot



Heel cap is figured maple

Neck is mahogany. Fingerboard is bound with figured maple.

Neck joint. This neck is a bolt on mortise and tenon.

Neck joint

Reflection in the back finish


Reflection in the bearclaw top.


Peg head with handmade custom gold pearl inlay.



Rosewood bridge and bridge pins.


Figured maple tail graft and bindings.



Down the neck


The OM back showing the light reflection. The lights are about 7' above the guitar.






1 comment:

Greg said...

David,

They look very proffesional.
You have be happy with them.

I really like the inlay's especially the blue.

I think I might have to have a look at doing something like you have for taking photos.
They all seem to come out pretty clear.