Google
 

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Binding indecision and some inlay work....

Okay, so I went to my local Woodcraft to see if they had some unusual hardwood boards that I might be able to buy and cut some of my own bindings. Well, unfortunately they really didn't have much of a selection. I ended up not getting anything there, but I did go to one of the big box stores to get some other things and picked up a piece of Oak and clear maple that had a reddish color to it. I decided it was inexpensive so I wasn't out much if I didn't get anything that I like out of it. I ripped them down to binding sizes and now I need to decide what to use. I have curly maple, clear reddish colored maple, oak, bloodwood, and purpleheart to choose from. I am leaning towards the curly maple as none of the others really are jumping out at me. If I do use the maple, I have decided that I will rip .1"x.15" strips of purple heart to use as perfling. I think it will tie the top in with the sides a bit. I have a couple of .1"x.1" strips that I held in place and it looks pretty nice so I think that is what I will go with. Either that or black strips. Huh, too many decisions! I never had this problem before, I just go with what I have and am happy. For some reason I am really want to make things tie together with this one.

After that I decided to start cutting my inlay pieces. I am using the same deer head on the peg head, and am using curved pieces for fret markers. I am up in the air on whether to do my initial on the heel or not for this one. I kind of like the idea of an initial on the heel, but it would be nice to be able to put the initial of the eventual owner on it instead of mine. I will have to think about it.





Here are my binding choices. From top to bottom: Curly maple, Bloodwood, Flat maple, Red Oak, and Purpleheart.


These are the inlay pieces ready to be cut out.


Here I am cutting the deer head with a jewelers saw.


The deer head cut out. Note the size compared to a pick. It is pretty small and quite delicate!

No comments: