Google
 

Friday, July 13, 2007

Little X patch and back glue up.....

I didn't get much time in the shop tonight, but I did get some so I set about with the goal of getting the back glued to the rim. First thing that needed done though was to sand down the little X shaped patch over the back X brace. I sanded.... and sanded.... and sanded some more until I got it to look pretty good. I found out that the Camatillo is some pretty tough stuff to sand. It isn't as hard as Granadillo but it is a lot more oily so that makes it hard to sand. I finally was happy with it, cleaned everything up and got the go-bar deck all ready for the glue up. One nice thing about getting the kerfed linings notched neatly and correctly is that it makes it easy to get the back lined up during the glue up. I got it all glued up and clamped down tonight. My plan is to get the box all closed up this weekend so I can get back to work on the neck.

I talked via e-mail with a reader of my blog named Ryan who gave me some good advice regarding why I was having a difficult time switching from G to other chords. I have been using the standard fingering that I learned which was using my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd fingers. He suggested that I go with the alternate method using 2nd, 3rd, and 4th(pinky). Although I am having to re-learn how to finger the chord, I am finding it easier to switch from G to another chord this way. I still have a hard time getting the G chord but that is just because my pinky finger isn't calloused up yet, and I have to un-learn how I was doing it before. It should get easier soon. I also was telling him that I get bored strumming chords. I understand that chords are fundamental to all playing styles, and that I need to learn how to play them and transition, but I never see myself sitting around a campfire strumming along while everyone is singing Cum-By-Ya! I really like listening to people who can fingerpick, and I really enjoy picking out songs note by note. He recommended a couple of books that would be good for me to get started in learning fingerstyle playing. I got one ordered and it should be here early next week. I also ordered a case for my 000, a sound hole humidifier, and some strings. Hey, if anyone out there is looking for a good inexpensive hard case for their guitar, check out Musicians Friend for their deluxe dreadnought or deluxe classical cases. They are really pretty inexpensive ($40.00 ea) and for the price they are very well built. They are 5 ply wood cases with good padding inside along with a thick fuzzy soft liner. I have two of these cases and was very impressed with them. I ordered a third one for my 000. The best part is if you order $100 or more, they ship free.




The back all cleaned up and ready for assembly to the rim. That sap line sure makes the center strip look off center. I can assure you, it is dead center! If you blow up the picture, you can see the center pencil lines at the top and bottom where the actual glue line is.


A close up of the X brace top patch. Really, I don't know how much reinforcement this really does, but I think it dresses it up a little bit.


The back glued up and in the go bar deck. For the eagle-eyed among you, I know the form says top. I flipped the rim the last time I put it in the form so the form is marked wrong.

No comments: