Google
 

Sunday, August 19, 2007

The finishing has begun....

Today was my deadline to get the first lacquer coats on, and I made it! I was able to get 4 coats of lacquer on today, and am planning on getting 3-4 coats on tomorrow. I mentioned that I picked up a new sprayer last week and I got to give it a try today. I really like it. It is a gravity fed gun and is much more adjustable than the last one. I was able to use about half of the amount of lacquer that I was normally using before. There was a ton of over spray before. I still have a lot of pebbling like I got before, but I I can deal with that. It would be nice to get a perfectly smooth application straight out of the gun, but I get the feeling that unless I spend a lot of money, that just isn't in the cards.




Here is the new gun and a gallon of USL. It is a lot cheaper buying this stuff by the gallon directly from Target than buying it from stewmac!


The top after the first few coats.


The neck. The bottom of the heel is covered in dust that settles after spraying. It wipes right off.


The back


The head stock. The white marks in the ebony are grain lines. I thought about dying them black, but I kind of like the natural look of it so I left them. The white line right by the nut is almost dead center. The back lamination also has some grain lines although they aren't quite as visible.


No comments: