Google
 

Friday, August 31, 2007

Jointing and blocks.....

This post is for the last couple of days. Yesterday I cut the neck and tail blocks and glued the tail blocks to the sides. Today I routed the mortises in the neck blocks, glued them in place, and then set to the task of jointing a set of back plates. Since I only have one jig for plate jointing, I will have to do one each time I am in the shop until all 4 are finished. I had a bit of trouble getting a good tight joint this time. I have joined 4 plates so far, and those have been pretty easy to get a good tight joint on. This one for some reason gave me quite a bit of difficulty. First I would have the center tight and one end showing light. Then I would try and fix it some more and would get another spot with light showing through, but the first problem area tight. I finally tried something different, I used my table saw to just shave the finest edge off of the two plates at the same time. As hard as it was to believe, I got a perfect joint straight off the table saw! I got it in the jig, glued and clamped up.

My order from LMI arrived today with two new neck blanks, 4 pieces of kerfing, and some black and white strips for bindings. This weekend I will try and get the kerfing all glued in, and get all of the plated glued up. I also want to get the braces roughed out of the billets if I have the time.




Here they are with the tail blocks glued in and clamped. This was yesterdays work.


Here are the two neck blocks glued in. This was today.


The first back joined and glued up in the jig.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

G'day mate! Now what's going on? I leave you alone for a month or so and now you have a wood room and you're working on twins! I have a lot of reading ahead to catch up but from what I have scanned this afternoon, it's all looking fantastic. I'll have to get back down the shed very soon.

David said...

Hi Ted!

Long time, no see! Yep, I have an SJ hanging in my curing room waiting a few weeks for buffing and final assembly. I just started these two 14 fret 000's for Christmas gifts. Hopefully I will have them done in time. I have been diligently practing my playing every day for at least an hour, usually 2. I am getting a little better but have a very long way to go until I can consider myself a good player! Oh well, it is all about the journey, not the destination.

Nice to hear from you!

David said...
This comment has been removed by the author.