Google
 

Monday, September 24, 2007

Finished top bracing, notched rims, glued one back....

Today I got quite a bit done. I first spent some time finishing the top brace sanding and cleaning up the tops. Then I was able to get the top and back edges of the rims notched to accept the braces that are to be let into the kerfed linings. I used my dremel with a down cut spiral bit and my router base to get them cut. They turned out pretty good. I took my time to make sure the notches were cut the right size so they will look good through the sound hole when the guitars are complete. After that was done I decided it was time to glue the first back to the rims using my go bar deck. It went well and it is drying now.

As promised, here are recordings for the tap tones of these two tops. You will have to forgive the quality as I used my computer and a headset mic to do the recordings. The recordings don't pick up the sustain very well. After the actual sound is around 1 second longer than I could get in the recordings. It also doesn't get the complexity of the tones I hear. It does give you a good idea of what I hear though and it is the best I can do with what I have available right now.

Parabolic tap tone
The 3rd recorded tap is the closest to what I hear. The mic was able to pick up a little more of the sustain.

Scalloped tap tone
The 4th recorded tap is the closest to what I hear. The mic was able to pick up a little more of the sustain.





This is the parabolic top complete. All that is left is for me to sign and number it.



And this is the scalloped top complete. Again, all that is left is the signing and numbering.


This is the top of the neck block where I had to notch in for the A brace.


Just a picture of a couple of kerfed lining notches for the braces. I have sanded the pencil marks off since the picture.


This is what the notch in the top of the neck block looks like. It had to be opened up into the mortise to allow access to the truss rod.


The back all glued up to the rim in the go bar deck.

No comments: