Google
 

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Neck tenoning....

Well the neck disaster seems to have been diverted. I glued in the laminate piece of mahogany the day the router tore up the neck, and yesterday I unclamped and checked it. The neck seems to be as stiff as it was previously. I planed and sanded it all flat and it looks okay. I went ahead and re-routed the truss rod channel (after checking the collett again!) I glued the heel blocks to the necks and let them dry. Today I planed the blocks to get them flush to the necks. I layed out the tenons and cut them on my table saw using my tenoning jig. After that, I realized that I forgot to install the brass inserts before cutting the tenons. I like to do the inserts first because the sides of the tenon want to bulge out if I do the inserts after the tenons are cut. Not a big deal though, I just clamped pieces of wood on three sides of the tenon to act as a support, then drilled the holes and epoxied the inserts in. It went fine and there were no blow-outs in the tenons.





The neck laminate after I removed the clamps. I think it will look fine under finish after it is stained.


Both necks with the truss rods.


The heel blocks glued and clamped.


The tenons are all marked and ready to be cut. Those spots on the top of the neck to the left are clamp marks. The rubber pads on the clamps cause these marks. I wasn't concerned as this will be under the fingerboard so I didn't use any cauls.


The tenons all cut. Notice anything missing? Yep, no inserts.


Here are the inserts all epoxied in. Here you can see the cauls I clamped on the tenon to keep the sides from blowing out. I had to do this on my 000 as I forgot to do the inserts on it too. I guess I need to write a chart of what gets done in what order so I don't miss things like this.

No comments: