Google
 

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Broken teeth (again!) and punishing a bad back......

DAY 16

I didn't get to spend much time on the guitar today. I did get a couple of things done though. I sanded down the heal graft and cut off the excess wood. It turned out really nice. It should look great under a finish. Then I cut the soundhole braces and glued them in. Finally I cut the notches in the kerfing where the top and back braces intersect. I tried doing this using my dremel and a down cutting spiral bit. It didn't go very well. Unfortunately, it snapped several teeth of of the kerfing where I cut. I glued all of these pieces back on and cleaned it up with a sharp chisel. I did the notches on the back using a saw and chisel the same way I did my dreadnaught. It worked much better. I think I will stay with this method as it works well and makes for a pretty clean cut. I thought the dremel would make it a cleaner cut but it looks like an amateur did it. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise as I am an amateur! I took the back out of it's dish to mark out the kerfing notches and it looks like the back will be fine. It still wants to flatten out a bit, but it is not bending backwards like it did yesterday. Just to be safe though, I have it back in the dish and clamped down. It kind of looks like it is being punished off in the corner for being bad yesterday lol. Here are some pictures:



Here is the curly maple heal graft. It really looks nice. It will look great with the peghead and binding.


Here are the sides with the kerfing notched. You can see the places where I needed to repair some of the teeth. Don't worry, the wet looking places are just some CA kicker that hasn't dried yet, it isn't glue.


The last 3 braces on the top. Next cutting out the soundhole and some final sanding and shaping then it gets glued on.


This is the back all clamped up in the 15' dish after my little humidity issue yesterday. It kind of looks like it is being punished and sent off to sit in the corner!

No comments: