Google
 

Thursday, January 18, 2007

Working in circles....

DAY 9

Today I didn't get to spend much time on the guitar, but I did get the top edges radius sanded so it sits flat in the 30' radius dish. I used a radiused board with sandpaper on its edge to do the work. It worked okay, but it was kind of tedious trying to get the 'high' spots sanded just enough to get the low spots to sit flat in the dish. After yesterday's little mishap cutting the end block, I made sure to take my time doing this. Tomorrow, I will be cutting the sides on the back to height and radius sanding it. I will use the method shown in the OM build log on the Kitguitars website to get the depths transposed from the plans. I sure am glad that he showed this method because I was scratching my head trying to think of a way to do this before I found the page. What did we ever do before the days of the internet? You gotta love this technology!


This is how I held everything steady. I screwed these little cauls into my workbench to keep things from sliding around. The top is facing up here.


I made this radiused board and attached a thin strip of 80 grit sandpaper along the edge. It was a 24" belt from a belt sander that I cut down to fit.


Here you can see the radius dish sitting on the top. If you look closely, you can see a small gap at the upper bout that I sanded down after I took this picture.


Here it is after the sanding was finished. The whole assembly is sitting on top of the 30' radius dish, top down. I think next time I will spring for the round sandpaper disks for this. I think it would make the job quite a bit easier.

No comments: