Google
 

Friday, January 26, 2007

Frozen toes and hot closets.........

DAY 13

Well, cold or not cold I just couldn't take it anymore and decided to see how long I could stand it in my shop and do some work on the guitar. I got a couple of things done. First thing, I fired up my heaters and went back inside the house for about 15 minutes to kind of 'preheat' the shop. I was able to get it up to 50 degrees F. When I started, the thermometer said 4 degrees F. Really cold! Anyways, I started by making braces for the sides. I was going to use some scrap brace material, but decided that since I had some thin strips of mahogany laying around my shop, I would use that. It matches the side wood a bit better. I cut them to length, sanded them to shape and glued them in. Then I decided to glue in the rosette. I cleaned out the channel and widened it a hair as it was just too tight for the rosette. Once I had it so it would fit, I glued it into place and put it in my go-bar deck to dry. By this time, my feet were frozen and I was ready to call it a day. Hopefully it will warm up a bit so I can get some of the top bracing done and the end piece grafted in.





First things first........ fired up the heater. 55000 btu's of propane fired goodness! The heat helps but the unheated space under the floor makes the feet get cold quickly.


I had a scrap piece of 1/4"x1"x4' mahogany. I ripped it lengthwise and cut one into side braces.


Here are two braces sanded to shape. I shaped them like this on my dreadnaught and kind of like the way it looks.


The side braces all clamped into place. I kind of liked how this all balanced on the lower bout. :)


The rosette all glued up and drying in my go-bar deck.


You might be asking yourself......."Self, how does David keep all his glues and finishing stuff from freezing in these cold temperatures?" Well, it's easy. I built this little closet with insulated walls and ceiling. I have a space heater in there that is connected to a thermostat which keeps this small space right around 60 degrees all winter long. I also kept my soundboard in here until I was ready to start working on it. The humidity is a bit lower in here because of the heat, and the consistent temperatures are a plus too. One of these days I will build some shelves and a hanging bar.


Until next time....... [frantically rubbing toes trying to get feeling back in them]

No comments: