Google
 

Tuesday, January 9, 2007

A nice surprise......

Day 2

I stopped home today just in time to meet up with the FedEx truck with a nice little surprise for me. My LMI OM kit arrived..... 2 days early! Being the patient guy I am, I immediately took it to the shop, grabbed the camera and opened it up. (the box, not the camera!) Everything was well packaged and undamaged. I do have one piece I am concerned about though. I have a piece of spruce about 1/4"x3/4"x24" that looks to be covered in black mold. The strange thing is, I have no idea what this part is for. I initially thought it might be some bracing material, but after watching a bit of the DVD, it looks as if all of the bracing comes from the 3 billets of bracing material in the kit. The only thing I can think of is that it may have just been some packing material to protect the thinner long pieces that were attached to it. It is not a big deal though, if I find later down the road that it is something that I need, I will replace it. I am not big on the idea of using a moldy piece of wood in my guitar!





The package as it arrived. No damage!


Everything was well packed with bubble wrap and peanuts.


I like how they protected the soundboard and back. Sandwiched between two pieces of thin chipboard.


All the parts spread out. I like how LMI taped the sides together, and then taped them along the open side to help keep them from flattening out. One of the tapes snapped but I re-taped them until I get the mold built.


This is what highly figured bearclaw looks like! I am thrilled with the figuring in it.


The back and sides are Granadillo. It is very dense feeling and has a fairly dramatic grain to it. I was kind of hoping to have a small bit of sap wood in the center as was shown on the website, but I am pretty happy with how this looks. It is quite a bit heavier than the mahogany I used on my dreadnaught.


The purfling . It should look nice.


Here are all the parts spread out acclimating to the shop humidity. This is the worst part, waiting and looking at the parts! Oh well, I have a mold to make so I have things to do. I forgot to take a picture of the bindings but they are curly maple and if you look closely, you can see them in this picture. It is very dramatic looking stuff. The headstock will also be maple veneer.


This is the mystery part I spoke of, and as you can see, it is very moldy. It is like this on both sides. :-(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you'll find that piece of moldy wood is simply a support piece. I had a piece of low grade wood taped to my kerfing and back brace. It certainly was not moldy like yours. The material I used for the centre back brace was flexible and had tapered edges.

David said...

Yeah, I am pretty sure that it is just packing wood. It was taped to the back brace and kerfing like yours. I could see that these pieces would end up broken without a stiff piece of scrap wood to protect them.