Google
 

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Whoa, slow down there big fella......

DAY 8

I finally got started actually building the guitar today and of course, I had to learn a valuable lesson; I need to slow down and take my time! It didn't take me too long to mess up something. Once I got the sides cut to length and installed in the mold, I started work on the tail block. I measured, cut it to size, sanded, marked and cut the 45 degree angles to clip the edges and radiused the back side. I grabbed my clamps & glue, got all ready to glue it in when it hit me. I had cut the wrong corners off making the block a mahogany paperweight. Fortunately I have several blocks of mahogany so I got one that had a similar grain pattern, made sure I measured everything twice, checked the grain direction and made a new block. This one looks much better. After gluing and clamping it in, I headed to the north end of the guitar and installed the neck block. Of course, I double checked everything when I installed that one after the tail block mess-up. Anyways, here are some pictures.




Here are the two tail blocks. The one on the right is the one I messed up, and the one on the left is the new one I made.


I have to say, I think I am going to like using an external mold instead of the internal one I used in my Stewmac kit. It is a bit heavier to work with though. Oh, and don't laugh at my cam clamps. I made them out of plywood and they work great!


Here is the tail block installed. Yes, it is the right one!

This is the neck block installed. I sure am glad that I didn't mess this one up!

No comments: