Google
 

Saturday, March 3, 2007

The finish has started.....

DAY 38

Well, the finishing has officially begun. I first spent a considerable amount of time going over the entire guitar with a bright light looking for any scratches. I sanded, sanded, and re-sanded until I got what I believe is an acceptable base for finish. I still have a few small scratches but I found that the more I sanded trying to get rid of the scratches, the more scratches I made. Since everything I have ever read and the instructions say sand to 320 grit I think that my 800 grit scratches will disappear once the finish is...well.. finished. I have my first coat of sealer on and drying now and will get 3 more coats on today if possible. This is the point where the blog will slow down as this part of the project is as exciting as watching paint dry (pun intended!). When I was walking back to the house from my shop, the mail-lady was sitting in my driveway with a box from Stewmac. I have my plan and rosewood blank for the bridge of my next project. Here are a few pictures.




Here is my high-tech spray booth. Pretty amazing isn't it!


The body after the first wash coat of sealer. This view is from outside the booth.


The body and neck from inside the spray area. Notice how foggy it is? That was how foggy my entire shop was while doing my Dreadnought. Some of the over-spray leaked out but for the most part it all stayed inside the booth. After I took this picture I rigged up an old bathroom exhaust fan I had laying around with some flexible duct and exhausted the over spray out the window. That helped a lot. Now it only takes a couple of minutes to get the room clear.

No comments: