Google
 

Saturday, March 17, 2007

A bloody followup.......(Okay, I'm done with the bloody titles!)

DAY 49 (continued)

Ding ding ding ding! I think I figured it out! After my last post I did some more searching for info on bloodwood bending. I found a post on a forum from a guy who said he bends his bloodwood without any back straps and mostly dry, just lightly spraying with water as he bent over a very hot bender. I figured, what the heck lets give it a try. I went out, fired up the bender and clamped one end in the upper bout clamp. Once the box was hot, and water would steam off when sprayed on the bender, I started. I sprayed the wood and started pushing it down around the upper bout to the waist. As I was bending, I would spray the wood and follow that with a heat gun so both sides of the wood got hot. It bent nicely to the waist. Then I put the waist clamp and started slowly clamping it down all the while spraying it with water and heating it with the heat gun. Once that bent into the waist I pulled it around the lower bout and clamped it down. All in all, about 15 minutes total and not even a hint of the wood wanting to break. I am so happy! Now I have 4 bent pieces with no breaks, and one with a repaired break. I still have 7 pieces left for the fingerboard and future projects. So, I guess my call for help isn't needed anymore. I feel confident that I can bend another if needed now too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Never mind the titles. You are going to have to work out how much longer you are going to have the "Day ##" bi-line. What happens when you get to Day 4823?

David said...

lol, Yeah I thought about that myself. I was actually thinking of stopping at day 50 so I might just have to do that now.