Google
 

Thursday, March 8, 2007

More finishing and making a bender.......

DAY 41

Today I worked on two projects at once. First, I got the OM ready for more finish by level sanding the back where the crack was glued and then completely cleaning the body and neck. I used my high tech spray booth to give it 3 coats of finish lacquer each coat about 1 1/2 hours apart. In between coats I built the bending form for the OOO that I will be starting shortly. I pretty much built it the same way I did the OM form so I will spare you all the details of how it went together. The only change I did on this one was to shape the top and bottom so when the wood is completely in the form, it is a little bit over bent. This should help with spring back. It isn't much but it is enough to see that it is over shaped. I got this idea from several different posts in the forums. One thing I also did was to make sure to get the reflective tape on before I got it all assembled. Let me tell you, it is a lot easier this way! Tomorrow I will build the side form. I am going to wait a couple of days before level sanding the OM and shooting 3 more coats of lacquer. Depending on how the level sanding goes, I may stop with these last 3 coats, or if I feel that sand-through will be a problem I will go up to 6 more coats giving a total of either 13 or 16 coats. My dreadnought had 12 coats and I sanded through it. I want to avoid this at all costs so I am willing to go a little heavier on the initial finish and sand back.



Here are the two sides of the bender form ready to be assembled. Again, I just used 1/2" conduit and sheet metal to hold it all together.


Here is the form on my existing heating base. Note how the top an bottom of the guitar are over-bent inward to allow for a little over bending of the sides.


The OM in the spray booth ready for more coats of lacquer. The lacquer is really making the bearclaw in the top really 'pop'. I was a little worried because the sealer kind of deadened the look. The lacquer gives it a lot of depth.

No comments: