Google
 

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Too humid......

Not much happening on the guitars the last couple of days. Work has been pretty busy and one of my daughters was in a school play last night so I didn't even get into my shop. Today has been a damp rainy day so the humidity level is very high. I did take a run to Woodcraft to pick up a precision square and some bolt inserts for the bolt on neck. This is another thing that is priced ridiculously high at the luthier suppliers. LMI sells two inserts, two bolts and two washers for $8.75. Woodcraft has the exact same brass inserts in packs of 10 for $3.99. The allen head bolts and washers can be purchased at just about every hardware store in the country for about $0.50 each. This works out to roughly $1.75 per guitar vs $8.75 per guitar at LMI. I understand that they are a specialty retailer but that is just plain wrong. Fortunately there are other options for these commodity type items.

Tomorrow I will probably do a couple of things regardless of the humidity levels. First, I want to drill in the inserts for the neck and epoxy them in. Next I want to make a couple of jigs. I want a jig for drilling the tuner holes on the OOO peghead. Since the peghead will be slotted, I need some way to get the tuner holes lined up and square. I am still debating on whether I will make a small jig to use my cordless drill, or a jig to hold the neck and use my drill press. Either way, I want to get the peghead shaped, drilled and slotted. That can be done regardless of humidity levels.

Second, I want to make a jig for slotting the fingerboard on my table saw. I have a blade as well as the precision router base, rosette attachment and the carbide downcut bit coming from Stewmac. I am also debating on how I am going to radius the fingerboard. I can either make a router jig to do this, or use a sanding caul to do it. The sanding caul is simple but will take quite a bit of elbow grease to get the radius, and the jig for my router will be a little more complex but it will be good for future guitars. I guess it will all depend on how long I want to spend making jigs instead of making guitars!

No comments: