Google
 

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

A bit more sanding and some pore filling.....

Tonight after work, but before the spring chorus concerts my daughters were in, I spent a little time doing the final sanding of the body, and started some pore filling. This guitar is a little different than the others I have built because of a couple things. First, the Adirondack spruce top is really soft. It doesn't take bench rash very well so I had a lot of fine sanding to do to get rid of any dings and dents I had in it. Even when I thought I was done, I would take it out into the sunlight, mark the flaws I could see, and go back to sanding. I finally got it done, and ready for pore filling. The other thing different is the wood binding has some small pores in it, and the Koa rosette has big pores that needed filling. My other builds had pre-made rosettes, perflings, and bindings with no pores so I didn't need to deal with this. So, I masked off around the binding and rosette and covered them with clear pore filler using a small paint brush. I tried to smooth it out a little bit with a rubber spreader but with the masking tape , smoothing wasn't very successful. I decided to just let it dry and I will sand it flat tomorrow. The filler sands easily so it shouldn't be a problem. Once that is done, I will mask the whole top and fill the back, sides, and neck. If things go well and I have enough time, I will try and start finishing it this weekend.


Here it is masked off and with pore filler on the edge and rosette. Hopefully it will sand off easily enough so I don't mess up the soundboard. I guess I will find out tomorrow!

No comments: