Google
 

Thursday, May 3, 2007

Bridge.....

The first thing I needed to do when I got in my shop was to get the fingerboard edge markers drilled and installed. I am using 3/32" (2.5mm) abalone dots for this, so instead of drilling holes without really worrying about depth like normal, I had to drill these like I did the fingerboard top. Other than the depth of the holes though, the installation is essentially the same as using rod stock. First I marked the holes, drilled them, and installed the dots. Really it wasn't much of a big deal. I like the look of the abalone dots instead of black or white dots. I have a lot left over so I am thinking I will use them on the next build.

Once that was done, I decided it was time to tackle making a bridge. You might remember way back when I first ordered the material for this guitar, I mentioned that the only part of the build I was concerned about was making a bridge. So far, my concerns have been un-warranted. First step, make a design. I had some ideas rattling around in my head so it really wasn't too hard to come up with something that looks different than the standard "Martin" bridges. I am not sure if my design is an original design or not, but it doesn't look like bridges you see everyday. I am happy with the design. Once I had the design drawn up, I made a template out of pressed board to use as a router guide for cutting a jig. I made a jig that holds the blank, and uses the edge as a guide for the router bearing to run along while cutting the blank. After the jig was made, I rough cut the blank to shape, clamped it in the jig and cut it to shape using my router. It worked pretty well. I then used my rotary microplane and sanding drums in my drill press to start shaping the arc of the top. That is where I left off. I have the bridge cut to shape and thicknessed to rough shape. I still need to shape the edges, finish sand it, drill peg holes, and route for the saddle. I am going to drill the peg holes in a curve to match the outer edge of the bridge. As far as routing the saddle slot, I have some ideas of how to do it with a jig. With this being the most critical part of the bridge, I hope I get it right without messing up the bridge!



The fingerboard all marked up and ready for edge markers.


As promised in my last post, here is an end shot of the heel so you can see the curved shape.


The edge dots installed. ( the stain on the neck is just some acetone. I got a little CA on it and used acetone to clean it up. It dried shortly after the picture was taken)


Hmmm, doesn't look much like a bridge now does it?


My bridge design. I don't know if it's original or not, but I like it.


The pressboard template .


I screwed the template on a piece of 1/2" plywood and used a flush cutting bearing bit to shape the edge of the plywood.


The same thing being done on the bottom.


The blank clamped in place. Note the center line mark.


Ready for the router.


The top half run through the router.


The blank moved to the bottom half. If you expand the picture, you can see that I marked the top radius using the template so I can get the blank exactly lined up.


Here it is after the router work. Not too bad for my first try!


And here it is after some sanding work. I used the Martin bridge to get the dimensions needed.


The bridges by edge one behind the other.

No comments: