Google
 

Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Tools..... I like tools........

DAY 24

Today I worked on the fingerboard, markers, and fingerboard bindings. First I needed to figure out how wide the fingerboard should be taking into account the bindings. At first I started doing some measuring and was going to sand to the line. But that is too much work, so I turned to a more foolproof and easy method. I realized that I have the stewmac binding router bit and bearings and that if it works on the body, why not use it on the fingerboard. I picked the correct bearing and put it on the shaft below the cutter head. I grabbed a collet from another router bit I have and tightened it below the bearing so that the bearing could not shift. I then built a jig to hold the fingerboard flush to the jig edge so the jig rides along the bearing and the cutter head cut above the jig cutting the fingerboard. I taped the fingerboard to minimize the chance of tearout at the fret cuts, and ran the whole thing through the router table. I did the same climbing cut method used on the body so the cutters wouldn't catch an edge and chip the wood when it hit the fret cuts. It worked beautifully! That saved me a lot of sanding.

About halfway through my work session, the nice FedEx guy showed up with a surprise package for me. A few weeks ago, I bought a cordless combo kit and it had a coupon for a free additional tool of my choice by mail. I chose the sabresaw. It arrived today so I spent a few minutes trying it out. I am impressed. It is an orbital sabresaw so it eats wood like a woodcutting fool! It is very well built and is heavy. I am sure it will get lots of use in the shop.

Then I marked out the marker dots. At first I was going to use the same layout on the plans but I wanted a few more dots that it showed. I quickly checked the Martin website and looked at their OM models. I decided to use the same layout as their models. I marked, drilled, and glued in the markers. After that, I cut the bindings and glued them to the fingerboard. Everything is drying now.





This is how I 'adjusted' the Stewmac router bit to cut my fingerboard. I basically just moved the bearing from above the cutter to below it.


The little jig I made to cut the fingerboard. The bearing runs along the edge of the plywood and the cutter rides just above the plywood, cutting the fingerboard. Notice the tape which minimized the risk of blowout at the fret cuts.


Here is the fretboard after the cuts. Notice the thin strip of mahogany visible on both sides of it. That is where the bindings fit.


This is how it will look when it is finished. I wanted to keep the top view black but the side view maple.


Anyone need some ebony dust? I am saving it in case I need it for filler.


A surprise showed up today. I bought a 24v lithium cordless kit a few weeks ago and they had a free by mail additional tool. It showed up today. I have to say, I am impressed with this saw. It cuts like crazy!


The fingerboard all marked out for the dots. I measured about a hundred times to make sure I had them centered and lined up.


All drilled out and ready for dots.


The dots glued in. They are gold MOP.


Here is the binding all glued up and taped in place. I took a picture from the side also, but it didn't turn out so I will get a picture tomorrow after I remove the tape and clean the glue.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I told you that you would catch up and then overtake me. I reckon by the end of the weekend, I will be following you.

Working, thinking about the next step and playing have stalled me this week.