Google
 

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

More teeny tiny work........

DAY 28

Well, I am not sure how this is going. I decided to cut out the inlay pattern into the peghead. It went fine. I took my time and went really slowly with several different dremel bits and knives. All in all the cutout looks good. I had one little piece of the rosewood in the center of one of the little 'loops' that broke out, but I filled that with epoxy and rosewood dust so it won't be noticeable. I put all the pieces in and once I had them set exactly how I wanted them, I hit them with a few drops of thin superglue to hold them in place while I epoxied them. Well, somehow I bumped two of the pieces and they kind of rolled a little bit to the side, and out of alignment. They aren't bad, and since they sit just a tad proud of the peghead finish, I think that once I sand it all level, it will look fine. I was just a bit upset when I saw what had happened, and it was too late to fix it. Oh well, it is my first attempt at this so I guess I shouldn't expect perfection.

We are having a mid-winter blizzard around here today. I spent a couple of hours plowing my driveway out only to decide to stay home. The roads are terrible and they have put driving restrictions in place for our county. So far we have about 16" of new snow, and they are predicting another 12"-18" before it ends. I am finished working on the guitar today. Just when I got the inlay all epoxied in place, I ran out of propane for my heater. With the roads as bad as they are, I am not heading out to get more!



The inlay all set just before the superglue. Notice the thin section where the rosewood broke out in the lower loop.


Here it is all epoxied in place. You can see the vertical stick kind of rolled to the side, and the lower curved piece on the right got bumped out of place. Otherwise, it is 'perfect' ! lol :p

No comments: