Google
 

Friday, February 2, 2007

Square.. square.. SQUARE!!!!! ...

DAY 19

The guitar mold is offically off and put away. The go-bar deck is also put away. Yep, the top and back are all glued up, and routed. All in all, it turned out pretty well with one irritating yet minor issue. Somehow one of the back braces ended up a tiny bit out of square with the center strip. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but it just so happens that it is the brace right in the soundhole. Ugh! Now every time I look in there I see a crooked brace. It is just a cosmetic thing, but it is annoying. Oh well, I suppose worse things could have happened. I am debating the idea of lightly staining the back braces so it isn't so visible. I am not sure yet, I will have to think about it.

I took some time gluing the little spot I mentioned last post on the back where it didn't glue tight to the kerfing. I clamped it up and it is drying. I also trimmed the peghead with my router and it looks nice with the maple band. I took some time to dry fit the neck to the body to see how low the neck is from the top. I was plesantly surprised that after it was all bolted up, it is around 1/2 mm low. That should be easy to deal with. I think I will probably just ream the bolt holes a tiny bit to get it to slide up. I was worried that enlarging the holes would allow for the neck to move, but there already is quite a bit of slop between the size of the bolts and the size of the holes. That leads me to believe that these holes do not need to be a tight fit to the bolt since the neck gets glued in anyways. If I am about to make a big mistake here, I would appreciate some feedback. Here are some pictures:




Here is the peghead all routed flush. It looks nice.


You can see the thin maple line. I kind of like how it looks. I am debating on if I should chamfer the edge or not. Probably not as this isn't furnature!


I dry fit the neck and bolted it on. You can see that the neck is about 1/2mm too low. This should be easy to adjust.


A poser picture. If you look, you can see the cross brace is a tiny bit out of square. I hate when things like that happen! Ugh!


This is the little spot where the back didn't sit tight to the side. The brace looks like it is holding it up a tiny bit.


I forced glue in the seam then clamped it. My theory is that the clamping will squash the end of the brace a tiny bit and allow the back to sit on the side. Judging by the squeeze out, it looks like it worked.

No comments: