Google
 

Thursday, February 8, 2007

Sanding.... sanding.....sanding.....

DAY 25

I spent most of my time today working on the fingerboard. I took all the tape off and started sanding........and sanding.....and sanding. Because of the very thin black edge on the maple bindings, I had to sand the glue off of the fingerboard very slowly and carefully. I wanted to make sure that I didn't sand through the black fiber edge and into the white fiber below it. It took a few hours of slow and careful sanding but I finally got it all cleaned up with the edges flush with the ebony. It turned out really nice. It was a lot of work, but I think it was worth the effort. My only concern is when I finally round the edges of the binding over, I know I will hit the white fiber. I did sand through to it in one small spot, and was able to stain over it with un-diluted tobacco brown stain concentrate. It stained just fine and the white disappeared so I think that I will end up doing that when it comes time to final sand the edges of the fingerboard. I really don't care for the white line in the binding, but that is the only thing that Stewmac had so I went with it. I will try making my own stacked bindings next time around so I don't have to deal with this again.

Once that was done, I took some time to design my peghead inlay. I wanted to make my own letter "D" for my initial out of pearl so I came up with a design I think I can do, and is different from what I have seen in the past. I made a quick visit to Stewmac.com and ordered some gold pearl inlay material and a saw & blades.







The fretboard all bound up and sanded. I know it looks crooked at the end, but that is just a shadow.


The edge of the fretboard. If you look really closely, you can see the white line between the maple and the black top.


It is starting to look like a guitar!



Here is the inlay I am going to try and make.


Another full shot of the guitar. You can see the maple bindings pretty clearly here.


Here is the end of the fingerboard. Those little miters were a pain in the neck to hold straight until I got it all clamped up!

No comments: