Google
 

Monday, February 5, 2007

Hmmmm, pictures are a good thing.... or are they? ...

DAY 22

It is a brutally cold day today. The thermometer read -2F (-19c) when I got up and it isn't much better now. Still, I had to get to the shop and check my bindings and perflings. I peeled off all the tape, scraped and sanded it and I am absolutely thrilled with the results. I only have one really small gap in the waist that I need to fill, but other than that, it is perfect. I decided to wipe it all down with a bit of naphtha just to get an idea of how it will look finished and I have to say I am really happy with the contrast of the maple and granadillo. One thing I wasn't happy with is what I noticed when I looked at the pictures. When I looked at the closeup of the perfling at the heal, I was stunned to see that the soundboard center seam is not centered! I spent a lot of time trying to find and mark the center of the soundboard and I was convinced that I had it marked correctly. With the naked eye, the center line is all but impossible to see, but I was convinced that I had found it and marked it. Even now, looking at it without a closeup view through a camera, it looks correct. It is only when it is wet and zoomed in on that I can see the actual glue line. I know that this is something nobody will ever see, and it is only about 1/4" off center, but things like that drive me crazy. Fortunately, the grain is so tight and straight, it is really difficult to see. I guess I learned something new today, wet the board and if the line is hard to see, I can use my camera to find it.

Anyways, it is just too cold to work out there today so I am done for the day.

On to the pictures:





A side shot. Here you can really see the curly maple figuring and the contrast in color.


Here is the top all scraped and rough sanded. It is wet with naphtha so you can see the bearclaw and color. I really like it.


Here is the spot where the binding didn't quite get in all the way. It should be an easy fix with a bit of sanding dust and glue.


A closeup of the spot where the perfling meets. I decided I liked the look of the perfling changing direction in the center.


The back wet with naphtha. I like the contrast of the maple and granadillo. The spots on the back are glue spots that need sanded out.


Here is the shot where I noticed the center line. It is off to the right about halfway into the dark spot of the perfling. I really have to look hard to see it, and I never saw it until now. I am certain that it is one of those things that unless it is pointed out to you, you will never notice it. This is a very closeup shot which makes it look much more exaggerated than it really is. those perfling color blocks are a touch over 1/4" wide. The wedge graft is just over 1/2" wide at the top side.

No comments: