Google
 

Thursday, February 1, 2007

People have been known to be killed by those......

DAY 18

....big icicles that is. (A lame attempt at a joke from the movie Christmas Story). I headed out to the shop today and noticed that I had really big icicles hanging from the edge of the roof. They are roughly 6' (sorry Ted, I can't even begin to guesstimate how many millimeters that is!) long. Anyways I took a picture of them and headed in. First, after turning on the heat of course, I took the guitar out of the go-bar deck to see how the back glueup went. It went fine although I have a small spot, roughly 1" long that didn't glue well. I can see a sliver of light through it so I will force some glue into the space and let it dry. It looks like a piece of brace was touching the kerfing causing it not to seat properly. Not a big deal, just something to watch out for next time. Anyways, I did a final sanding of the top braces, cleaned out the inside of the guitar and glued up the top to the sides. I made sure all of the edges were firmly seated to the sides this time! After that I glued the peghead laminates to the neck and clamped it up to dry. I laminated a thin piece of maple between the mahogany pegboard and the rosewood overlay. It should make for a nice thin light colored line on the edge of the peghead. I am hoping it looks as nice as I think it will. I decided that I am also going to bind the fretboard with figured maple to match the guitar binding. I headed inside and made a quick order from Stewmac for bearings for the binding router bit, and for some maple binding material.





These are some big icicles!


The top all sanded and ready to be glued. I signed, dated, and numbered it before I glued it on.


A nice clean guitar body. This is the last bit of daylight it will be seeing.


See the pencil? I was having a difficult time getting an accurate measurement from the center of the soundhole to the top of the neck block. I inserted a pencil through the truss rod hole, centered the point in the soundhole and then marked the eraser end on the form. Then when I did the glueup, all I had to do was align the top to the pencil end. It worked great!


The top all glued up and in the go-bar deck.


The first peghead laminate of maple.


The peghead all clamped up with the maple sandwiched between the rosewood and mahogany.

No comments: