Google
 

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Fingerboard binding, routing bodys, position markers....

Sorry I haven't posted for a few days. I have been somewhat pre-occupied and just haven't gotten down to updating. I have however done some work on the twins. I was waffling back and forth about whether or not to bind the fingerboards. I decided to go ahead and bind them for the simple fact that I like the look of clean fret ends, and I think the Koa goes well with the EIR fingerboards. I narrowed the boards down on both edges to accommodate the binding thicknesses and glued them up. After they dried I sanded them down so the bindings matched the radius of the fingerboards. I am glad I bound them. I really like how the wood colors work together. Once that was done I went ahead and installed the position markers using my drill press and Paua Abalone dots.

I decided it was time to perform the scariest part of this entire building process according to a lot of builders, route the binding and perfling ledges. I have shown how I do this in several past builds so I won't get into detail here, but I have to repeat myself again....... I LOVE MY ROUTER STATION! It really makes this job almost foolproof and it does a great job. It isn't perfect and I had to do a little touch up work with a sharp chisel, but I had both bodies routed and ready for binding in less than an hour. My next job will be to glue the bindings in and start the inlays on the necks.





Here is one of the fingerboards with the bindings taped up.


Both necks with the bound fingerboards sitting on them.


Both bodies after the binding and perfling channels have been routed. One thing I noticed, the tap tones on the tops have dramatically changed after routing. I assume this is caused by all of the air gaps now opened up from the routing. The sound should come back after the bindings go on and all of the gaps are re-sealed allowing all of the sound and air pressure to come out of the sound hole instead of a million different places around the body.


Here are the two heel grafts. They should tie into the bindings nicely.


The two fingerboards with the position markers installed.

No comments: