Google
 

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Update....

Well, there is a lot of sanding dust in the shop. I spent the last couple of sessions in the shop doing all of the final sanding on the 'twins'. I also got the second neck joint finished and looking good. Tonight I took both guitars out in the sunlight to look for any sanding defects then spent a little more time sanding out the blemishes I found. Tonight I got the first coats of pore filler on, and sanded down. Tomorrow I will get the next coats on and sanded, which hopefully will be the last of the pore filling. I picked up a different filler at Woodcraft today to try out but unfortunately it is a white colored paste. I tested it on some scrap, but it looked terrible so I guess that was $18 wasted. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Fortunately I have some left over from the other guitars so I had enough to do these two. I picked up some Tru-oil to use on the necks of these two guitars. The nice thing about it is that I don't need to pore fill before as it will fill the pores. It is supposed to make for a very fast neck and the scrap Sapele I tested it on looks really nice. I think it will make a great looking neck.

I have been hanging out at the OLF a lot the last few days spending money at the fall swap meet. I have gotten a beautiful Cherry back and side set, a stunning Ambrosia Maple set, some Lutz tops, some fingerboard blanks, neck blanks, and bridge blanks. The swap meet goes through next Wed. so there should still be some great deals to be had. I hope my wallet can hold out!

Sorry, no pictures tonight. Sawdust just doesn't photograph well! lol

No comments: