Google
 

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Two necks set, fingerboards glued.....

Today I got the second guitar neck set to the correct angle and straight. I still have some fine tuning to get all the gaps out, but at this point I was just wanting to get the angles right, and the joints close. This guitar went much quicker than the other because the neck block was dead on. Note to self, from now on make sure the neck blocks are straight!

Once that was done I went ahead and glued the fingerboards down to the necks. It went pretty easily and since Stewmac sent two big rubber bands in my first kit, I had enough to do both in one session.





Here is the second guitar with the neck set.


One side of the neck joint. You can still see some small gaps but nothing that can't be corrected after the fingerboard is attached.


The other side of the neck joint.


Here are both guitars. Kind of has that assembly line look to it doesn't it!


Both necks with the fingerboards attached. Yeah, I know only one is taped. I forgot to tape the second one and realized it only after I had spread the glue on the neck. Oh well.


Okay, for all you builders out there. Does this look familiar? Yeah, after flossing the neck joints I end up with a big pile of these little strips that tear after a couple of uses. I had a light bulb moment today. See the next picture for my high tech method of correcting this problem.


Yep, just put some strapping tape on the back of the sandpaper and now it is un-tearable. Why on earth didn't I think of this about 5 guitars ago?

No comments: