Google
 

Monday, October 15, 2007

Neck sets and edge markers....

I spent a few hours doing some fine tuning of the two neck joints. I have one done and the other is almost done. It takes a lot of sanding to get the joints tight because of the hardness of the neck wood. I was getting tired of neck joint flossing so I decided to install the fingerboard edge markers. I usually do this when the fingerboards are still off the necks, but I actually forgot to do them. I am glad I remembered before finish went on! Here are pictures of the neck joints. Sorry but no pictures of the heel caps on these ones. Since I have the recipients initials inlayed in them, I don't want to accidentally blow the surprise if they accidentally look at this site! I will show pictures of them when I post the finished guitar pictures after Christmas.





One side of the finished neck joint.


The other side of the same neck. There is a tiny gap just before the heel cap caused by a slight dip in the sides. I don't want to sand anymore off of the neck so I will fill the gap at the finish. It is a very tiny gap that really isn't visible unless you look for it so it should fill fine.


One side of the other neck.


This side still needs a bit of work but it is pretty close. I was just getting tired of doing the joints so I went on to another task. I will finish this one tomorrow.


The necks with the edge dots installed. They are paua abalone 3/32" dots.

No comments: