Google
 

Friday, October 19, 2007

New Zoot!!!

Other than a lot of sanding of pore filler, there isn't a whole lot of exciting things happening in the shop. I have one body pore filled and sanded to 320 grit, and the other one is pore filled and still in need of sanding. The peg heads have also been pore filled but they also need sanded. I should have them done by the end of the week.

I mentioned that I have been spending a lot of time on the OLF swap meet. I thought I would post some pictures of the zoot I have purchased so far.....





First up the eye candy. I got this set of Black Limba.


Next, this set of curly Cherry.


And this set of Ambrosia Maple.


I also got two Lutz soundboard sets. I have been wanting to get some of this for a while.


I picked up the first two Goncolo Alves fingerboards in this picture.


I snagged 4 of these EIR bridge blanks.


I got this set of Engleman Spruce top wood.


I got #4, #8, and #12 of these EIR fingerboards.

I also got 2 Mahogany neck blanks but I don't have a picture of them. For reference, I was able to get all of this wood for less than the cost of a kit from LMI, Stewmac, or Martin. The swap meet is a fantastic place to get beautiful wood for a great price.


Oh yeah, this is my guitar building blog isn't it. Here are the two boxes. One is sanded down to 320 grit and the other one is still covered in pore filler in need of sanding.


The two peg heads covered in pore filler.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello David,
Great haul, all that wood will keep you busy for a while!
I wasn't able to find the OLF swap meet pages, only a VHS thread? Well, maybe I'll find the next one.
You will find some pretty good deals on the luthierforum auction, lots of spruce tops and some back/side sets of various woods.
The auctions are every other weekend Friday and Saturday night.
The folks like to fool about a bit, but it's kinda fun.
BTW, nice work on the twin guitars
Brian
(justlooking)

David said...

Thanks for the compliment. I have been on the luthierforum auctions a couple of times, but I haven't bought anything on it. I kind of like seeing what I am buying beforehand. As for the OLF swap meet, I have since learned that you have to log in to see the swap meet thread. If you aren't logged in, you get a page for John Mayes videos for some reason.

Anonymous said...

Hey David,
I did the log in thing at the swap meet, WOW! How did you restrain yourself to just the wood you purchased, I think if my credit card was out I wouldn't get it back in!
The finishes are eye popping, especially on the neck. You are making it look too easy!
Brian

David said...

Hi Brian!

Yeah, it has been tough holding back from buying more wood. There has been some great deals to be had. The hard part is that there is still 4 days left and I have already spent my budget. Oh well, isn't that what a budget is for..... to be broken?!